Prep: 5 mins; Cook: 20 mins; Ready in: 30 mins
For Gulab Jamun Balls (20-25 small-sized balls)
1. One packet Instant Gulab Jamun Mix (175 grams)
2. Half cup full cream Milk
3. 2-3 tsp Butter or Ghee (preferably ghee)
4. Oil to fry
For Sugar Syrup
1. 2 cups Sugar
2. 2 cups Water
3. 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
4. 1 tsp Rose Water (optional)
5. 1 pinch Fennel Seeds (optional)
To make Gulab Jamun from Instant Mix:
1. Mix 1 packet of Gulab Jamun flour with hands to remove all lumps.
2. Add milk to the flour, very slowly, mix it evenly to make a soft dough. Knead the dough till it becomes soft. Cover it with a damp cloth and keep it aside for 5 mins.
3. Heat the oil for frying.
4. Take a little ghee on both palms, and start rolling the dough into small balls. Make a batch of 10 balls for frying, and keep the left dough covered with same damp cloth.
5. Fry the balls on low flame, so that the balls gets fried till the center (if you fry the balls on high flame, then the balls upper surface will start turning brown before the center part is cooked properly)
6. Keep stirring the oil for even cooking. The frying will take sometime.
7. Till the balls are getting fried, start preparing the sugar syrup. Put 1:1 ratio of sugar and water in a pan and give it one boil.
8. Now keep this mixture on low flame and add cardamom powder, fennel seeds (optional). Keep stirring it in between. After approx 10 mins, turn off the heat.
9. After the balls turns golden brown, take them out and keep in like that for 1 minute.
10. Put all the balls of one batch in the sugar syrup. Make sure the sugar syrup should be hot, but not boiling. Also, add the rose-water in the syrup before adding the balls.
11. Start with the next batch repeating the same steps. Keep all the gulab jamun balls in the sugar syrup for at least half an hour (keeping overnight is best)
12. Serve hot or cold, the way you like it.
1. Always knead the mix using full cream milk, this makes the balls softer and also less cracks appear on the balls.
2. Do not knead the dough too much, knead till the dough becomes soft.
3. Cover the dough with damp cloth, so that it should not lose moisture.
4. In case the cracks appear on the balls, roll it again using a little Ghee or Butter.
5. Fry the balls on low flame for even cooking.
6. Soak the fried balls in the sugar syrup at least for half an hour (the more the better).
7. Make sure the sugar syrup is warm while soaking the balls.
Best of luck guys, and please let me know in case this recipe does not work for you. I will be glad to help solve any issues.
Happy cooking guys and keep checking my blog for more yum yum and easy recipes!!!